#plantnom – recipes for the plant curious
It’s winter Its comfort Food so this one definitely needs to be on the weekly menu! Butter Beans are a great addition and give it a lovely creamy texture – add in whatever veggies you like.
Squash and Butter Bean Stew Recipe
What you need:
- Large Butternut Squash – chopped into small squares
- Red onion
- 3 leeks – sliced
- 1 Red pepper – diced
- 200g Mushrooms – sliced or Button mushrooms – halved
- A good handful of Spinach
- 400g tin of butter beans
- 1 tin of coconut milk or if want the extra sauce to add in additional half a tin
- Coconut oil or olive oil
Options – can add coriander or parsley, for an extra kick add a couple of tablespoons of red Thai curry paste or ½ teaspoon of chili flakes
What to do:
- Add the oil to a large frying pan, heat and add the onions, leeks, and peppers – cook on a gentle heat to soften them – not brown
- Stir in the Thai paste and cook gently for 1 minute if using
- Add the squash and cook for further 5 mins, then add the coconut milk, mushrooms, and simmer gently for around 15 mins until squash cooked but not mushy.
- Add the butter beans and cook for further 5 mins. Finally, add the spinach and allow to wilt, take off the heat and stir in herbs if using.